As the new century approached attention was tuned to improving the living conditions of the soldiers at the fort. Prior to this time most soldiers were quartered in the casemates along the fort's southeast and southwest walls. By all accounts these quarters were damp and unhealthy - especially in the winter months. It was decieded to build new barracks on top of the walls which would house the soldiers and the quarters in the casemates were converted into latrines, messhalls, kitchens and offices.
A number of other improvements were made to the fort about this time. The bakery was moved from the southeast demibastion of the main fort to its own building north of the east gate. The fort's jail (or "guardhouse" in Army parlance") was moved from the old and small redoubt near the east gate to its own building just south of the bakery.
The west wall - no longer mounting cannon after 1904 - was converted to a number of uses. The upper casemate tier served as the enlisted mens club and post exchange while the lower level contianed a boiler room, an indoor range for .22 caliber rifles and a bowling alley where boys living at the fort were employed as pin setters at two cents a string.
Southeast Barracks, Constructed circa 1900.
The barracks on the southeast wall were completed around 1900 and those on top of the southwest wall around 1907. This coincided with the removal of the last remaining guns from the main body of the fort when the more modern Endicott period batteries were installed. From then on the main body of the fort (commonly called the "quadrangle" - although it had five, not four, sides) would serve as the primary quartering area for the enlisted soldiers stationed at the fort.
Top History of Fort Adams
Back to Fort Adams Trust Homepage.